edit 2013: viatalk is NOT anymore recommended (below) .. instead Vitelity or Anveo.
requires victim.. err friend’s phone number
(2) enter phone number
(3) call local road runner division
(4) enter phone number
(5) proceed to tech menu for internet service outage
(6) write down mac address the system foolishly volunteers
(7) return to https://help.rr.com/urt tab
(8) enter mac address from step 6
* if prompted to answer a security question enter any short string of letters
tada.. your friend’s email address.
with all three pieces of information you can have friend’s master account password reset and login to Self Care and find account number. Now you can call and request upgrades for your friend at his expense or cancel his account. Or you can use his 500 meg SafeStorage account
thanks time warner!
(be sure to ask them how their propaganda “any three services [qualify for our] triple play discount” does not apply to either ‘cable box, cable box, internet’ or ‘internet, internet, cable box’. Last I check each of those respective groups comprised three services — neatly falling within ‘any three’)
Time Warner digital phone (voip) is abysmal in everyway other than network structure (ultra low latency and hops): it’s akin to ma bell from 1960. Either roll your own with Asterisk
or upgrade to ViaTalk ($17/mo + taxes), or voip.ms ($1/mo + $0.0115/min), or anveo.com ($2/mo inc 60 minutes + $0.015/min, no free SIP in/out)